Sauvignon Blancs are notoriously light, slightly smoky, and just a pinch tart — and that makes them great white wines to pair with Italian food. Saucy foods love Sauvignon Blancs. More specifically, the smokiness is a good Sauvignon Blanc makes them great for oil-based sauces.
What kind of wine goes with Italian food?
The Best Wines to Pair with Italian Dishes
- Pinot Grigio. If you are having a classic pesto dish, then pair it with a classic wine. …
- Zinfandel. The richer the red sauce you have in your pasta or pizza dish, the more tangy and bold you want your red wine to be. …
- Chianti. …
- Chardonnay. …
- Pinot Gris.
What white wine goes with pasta?
We’re talking linguine with clams and spaghetti with prawns; medium-bodied white wines go well with these types of dishes. To not overpower the freshness and flavor of the seafood, you’d usually pair your dish with a crisp, dry white wine like Pinot Grigio.
Does Pinot Grigio go with Italian food?
In Italy and California, it’s called a Pinot Grigio, whereas in Oregon and France it’s a Pinot Gris. Regardless of the name, this wine is best paired with oil- and cream-based sauces in Italian cuisine.
What is the most popular white wine in Italy?
Veneto is one of Italy’s biggest white wine producers – with multiple white DOC wines, including Lugana and Prosecco. The Garganega grape is most popular in the region, followed by Pinot Bianco, Trebbiano, Italian Chardonnay, and Pinot Grigio.
What is the best Italian wine?
The Best Italian Red Wines of 2020
- Fontodi 2017 Chianti Classico; $39, 95 points. …
- Michele Chiarlo 2017 Cipressi (Nizza); $30, 94 points. …
- Illuminati 2017 Ilico Riserva (Montepulciano d’Abruzzo); $24, 91 points. …
- Produttori di Manduria 2017 Lirica (Primitivo di Manduria); $16, 91 points.
What kind of wine do you serve with lasagna?
Pairing lasagne and wine: Quick guide
- Beef lasagne calls for ripe, juicy red wines.
- Try Barbera, Gamay, plus lighter styles of Carignan and Sangiovese.
- Avoid too much oak and tannin.
- Vegetarian lasagne fans could try lightly oaked Chardonnay.
Do you drink red or white wine with spaghetti?
The flavors you mix with your plate of spaghetti (or rigatoni, or penne) will determine which wine should go in your glass — red or white, dry or sweet. … This medium-bodied, slightly tangy Italian wine is excellent with acidic tomato sauce.
What wines pair well with pasta?
7 Wines to Pair with Pasta
- Cabernet Sauvignon. Cabernet Sauvignon is the most sought-after wine in the world, and it is loved for its highly acidic, savory character. …
- Pinot Noir. This light red wine variety goes well with tomato-based pastas because of its lighter structure. …
- Zinfandel. …
- Chardonnay. …
- Merlot. …
- Riesling. …
What does pinot grigio pair with?
As a delicate, neutral wine, pinot grigio pairs best with light, fresh flavours. Think summery dishes like salads, chicken and seafood, as well as light pasta dishes and risottos, and avoid heavy sauces in favour of creams and vinaigrettes.
What kind of wine goes with Italian sausage?
A fantastic Italian sausage wine pairing is the Tuscan Chianti. When you go Italian, you have to go big. That’s why we recommend pairing sweet sausage and its traditional Italian flavors with a tart yet slightly spicy glass of Chianti wine.
What wines are Italian?
Top Italian red wine types
|Wine type||Main Grape(s)||Region|
|Brunello di Montalcino DOCG||Sangiovese||Tuscany|
|Cannonau di Sardegna DOC||Cannonau||Sardinia|
|Chianti Classico DOCG||Sangiovese||Tuscany|
What food do you pair with Pinot Noir?
Pinot Noir pairs well with a wide range of foods—fruitier versions make a great match with salmon or other fatty fish, roasted chicken or pasta dishes; bigger, more tannic Pinots are ideal with duck and other game birds, casseroles or, of course, stews like beef bourguignon.
What is a good dry Italian white wine?
Pinot Grigio: Generally light-bodied, dry, and crisp, with subdued aromas and flavors and no oakiness. Made from Pinot Gris grapes, usually in Northeastern Italy. Wines from Collio or Alto-Adige DOCs (controlled origin denomination) are usually the best.
What is the best Italian Pinot Grigio?
Italian Pinot Grigio Recommendations
- Nals Margreid 2018 Hill Pinot Grigio (Alto Adige); $19, 90 points. …
- Peter Zemmer 2019 Pinot Grigio (Alto Adige); $17, 89 points. …
- Mezzacorona 2019 Estate Bottled Pinot Grigio (Trentino); $11, 88 points. …
- Castelfeder 2019 Mont Mès Pinot Grigio (Vigneti delle Dolomiti); $12, 87 points.
What is dry white wine in Italian?
Soave—the Italian dry white wine made around the eponymous medieval town east of Verona—is often associated with light-bodied, zesty bottlings destined for immediate consumption.